Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tans Are Good - Sun Not The Enemy Anymore

Finally, some medical research that makes me happy. Recent studies have been conducted that say that Vitamin D could reduce the risks of many forms of cancer, including colorectal and breast cancer and the even better news is that exposure to the sun is the best and most effective way to get Vitamin D into your body. For once, a medical study that praises sun exposure instead of demonizing it.

Now before we all go nuts and start laying in the sunlight all day, only 10 to 15 minutes of sun per day is necessary to get the full benefit of Vitamin D. However, this is welcome news to people, like me, that have worried for years about sun exposure and potential risks of skin cancer. These risk are still a possibility if we don't use moderation when going outside in the summer time, but the fact that getting some sun on your skin can be good for you, is great news.

In upcoming weeks, I'm sure the old anti sun folks are going to stick their head out of their dark caves and start picking apart this new research because to them, something is either all bad or all good. However, in reality there are very few things that are totally bad or good, most things are good, if done in moderation and sun exposure is the latest example of this fact of life.

There is something soothing about sunlight on the skin. I remember times while riding in the car and not feeling too well and then some sunshine starts coming through the side window onto my arm and before you know it I start feeling better. It's been proven that areas with little sunlight, like parts of Alaska have the highest depression and suicide rates, so there may be more benefits to sun exposure than possible cancer prevention.

So now, I can go to lake this summer and drink two cold beers while sitting in the sun for 15 minutes. What a wonderful way to stay healthy! I wish it was four beers and 30 minutes of sun, but I guess I can't have everything I want. I'll just tell my wife I'm doing this for my health and I'm sure she will be very understanding now with this new research on my side!

All jokes aside, this is very good news and if these studies can be confirmed by other researchers in the future, we will see even further evidence that sunshine, taken in moderation is just another good thing to help keep our bodies healthy.

No comments: