Sunday, July 30, 2006

Packed Movie House - 'Devil Wears Prada'

My wife and I went to see the movie, “Devil Wears Prada” this weekend and much to our surprise the theater was packed with people. As most of you know, who read this blog on a regular basis, we are cheap and only go to the dollar show. While this movie only lasted a couple of weeks at the full priced theater, it might last a long time at the discount theater if the number of people who were attendance yesterday here in Waco are any sign of the long term success of this movie. Actually, we both enjoyed this movie very much and while no one would want to work for someone mean like the lady in this movie; it does make all our jobs seem good by comparison.

We usually go see a movie at the local dollar theater each weekend and most of the time there are only 25-30 total people in the audience. However, there must have been several hundred people at this movie and I heard several other people talking on the way out the door when the movie was over about their surprise at the big turn out, as well. I wonder if down deep inside the folks who went to see this movie, “Devil Wears Prada”, went because they also feel belittled and under-appreciated at their own jobs? I know I sometimes feel that way when I am kept out of the loop about an important decision which effects my department or when my annual review of job performance isn’t what I was expecting.

My wife has problems at work from time to time with fellow coworkers who won’t work and try to pass off their obligations on others in the office. After the first 10 minutes of this movie I asked my wife if where she worked was as bad as the young girl in this movie? She smiled at me and said no. Experts say that Americans love to watch movies and TV shows, which are based around rich people who have all kinds of problems in their lives. Maybe this movie, "Devil Wears Prada", is just the latest Hollywood attempt to capitalize on that popular feeling among Americans and if that was their attempt, it appears they were successful in taking a movie which has a dreadful title and turning it into a box office hit.

I would highly recommend this movie and urge you to see it at your earliest convenience. It is funny and has a good moral to the story at the end. Just like so many other examples in life, this movie proves once again that “money can’t buy you happiness”, but it does have a strange way of attracting regular folks who will give up everything which is really important in their lives to live in some kind of fantasy world. It is so important to keep our fantasies and reality separated or terrible things will eventually happen in our lives. Maybe it is important from time to time to see a movie, which points out this fact, and “Devil Wears Prada” made that case, perfectly.

Related: 2006 Movie Favorites

Packed Movie House

No comments: