Sunday, February 04, 2007

Omega 3 Walnuts - Food For Good Health

As I get older my thoughts turn more and more toward a healthier diet. Like millions of other people I use the Internet to look for foods that will help my aging body manage the stresses of the day and hopefully repair some of the damage that I have self inflicted over the years because bad eating habits. In recent weeks I have read many news reports and research studies that point to the good health benefits of Walnuts. Over the years I had stopped eating Walnuts and Pecans because of their high fat content, but as researches have discovered there are good fats and bad fats in our daily diets and luckily the fats found in Walnuts are of the good variety.

The main fatty acid that almost all researchers point to as the fat we should get more of in our diets is called Omega 3. Walnuts contain a good supply of Omega 3 fatty acids and also contain Omega 6 in the proper proportions for good health. Like other folks approaching the age of 50, regularity is also concern of mine and along with good Omega 3 fats, Walnuts are also a good source of fiber. From my research and personal experience, fiber not only causes the colon and small intestine to keep digested food moving along, but it is a great source of food for healthy colon bacteria that we all need to prevent serious diseases as father time creeps up on us.

Added to the proper concentrations of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids and fiber in Walnuts are powerful antioxidants that have been proven to reduce the risks of certain types of cancer. Over the years my diet has consisted of too many bad saturated fats found in red meat and fried potatoes. Also, years of eating too many of the bad fats my cholesterol and waistline have grown in size giving me small hints as to the damage I was doing to my body, but like others I just ignored those issues until recently. The good news is there are great tasting foods, like Walnuts, that can increase the digestion of good fatty acids like Omega 3, provide a good source of fiber and provide antioxidants our bodies need everyday.

Over the next year I plan on reducing my intake of red meat and French-Fries and replace those calories in my diet with Walnuts. Hopefully, this small change in my daily eating habits will help turn around my bad cholesterol levels and increasing waistline and provide my body and mind with more of the fats and fibers that are needed for good health and improved energy.

Related: Right Food Choices, Friday Night Food, Diet Reflects Attitude, Healthy Meal Choices

Omega 3 Walnuts

1 comment:

Silvia Jacinto said...

I really love your blog there's a lot to share. Keep it up.Visit my site too.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net