Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pros/Cons Of Company Christmas (Holiday) Parties

Last night, my company held it's annual Christmas Party. Like always, the food was good and it was nice to associate with coworkers in a different environment than the daily 9-5 office setting. It is becoming more uncommon every year for companies to hold Christmas (Holiday) parties, so what are the pros and cons to these annual events? The pros are simple, because in addition to building a team spirit - company Christmas parties are usually very fun to attend. The cons of a company Christmas party usually revolve around the cost of the event and the possible liability the company might be exposed to if an employee has too much to drink at the party, gets behind the wheel of their car and ends up in a traffic accident.

For me, my annual company Christmas party is something I look forward to each year. It's almost like I can finally put a period on the end of the year every time our party is held. Like many other folks, I experience many ups and downs during the year and at Christmas time it is good to put everything into prospective and especially count my many blessings like having a good job with a good company. The past couple of years it has become front page news that millions of other Americans don't have a Christmas Party to attend, because a bad economy has made it tough for them to find a job. My company Christmas Party gives me the chance to be thankful for the job that I do have.

Another thing on the cons side of an annual Christmas Party is the rare chance that someone at the party will have too much to drink, get angry and end up ruining the entire event for everyone else. Thankfully, I have never actually been to a Christmas Party where a fight has broken out - but I can image what a terrible thing that could be. While there are pros and cons to company Christmas parties, I personally believe the pros outweigh the cons - because it gives all employees at least one chance per year to sit down together for a good meal and spirits and have a chance to get to know each other in a more personal way than modern day offices permit.

Subscribe To The "Hutch Report" Daily Email.
Enter Your Address In The Box To Continue:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments: