Saturday, April 19, 2014

Teacher Fired For Telling Student Country Did Not Need Another Black President



Sometimes I wonder how some people are able to complete college, get an education degree and start teaching our children – while at the same time be completely stupid in their core beliefs. Recently, a teacher in Ohio told a black student who expressed an interest in growing up to be President that the USA did not need another black President. Wow, just when you think the country is getting better when it comes to racism, there is a story like this one explaining just how far we still need to go before hearts and minds are changed. I wish it were just white folks who had dark hearts when it comes to judging others based on their skin color, but sadly that's not the case. Even within the same race of people, there are some who judge others simply based on the tone of their skin or where their family roots originated. While I have no evidence to support my opinion that some of this racism is being perpetuated by politicians trying to further their careers, I do believe it is playing at least a small part. I remember when I was growing up, there were always kids saying they wanted to grow up and become the President of the United States. Even 40-years ago, I never heard any teacher discourage a student from that dream.

No comments: