Friday, April 21, 2006

'Sentinel' Movie Getting Bad Reviews

I just finished reading a couple of bad reviews of the new movie, “The Sentinel” starting Kiefer Sutherland and Michael Douglas. Just like millions of movie buffs, I would have missed some of the best movies ever made if I based my attendance on the opinions of people that watch and review movies for a living. I’ve seen a few of the TV commercials promoting the weekend release of this new movie and it looks like the kind of movie I would like to see.

I’m a huge Michael Douglas fan. He is one of the best movie stars of my generation. I tell my wife all the time that what makes his movies great are his facial expressions when he gets extremely angry. I think every major star in Hollywood has at least one strong point, which causes them to stand out from other actors. That strength in Michael Douglas is his wide range of facial expressions, which can go from devious to angry in the blink of an eye.

I have watched Kiefer Sutherland a couple of times on the Fox TV show, “24” and while his is also a great actor, the entire bases of that show is too hard for me to believe. Also, on the few occasions I have watched the show, Sutherland has spent half of the program yelling at the top of his lungs at suspects. I think the problem I have with “24” is that I’m too old to fit their target audience. More than likely they are looking for that 18-30 year old person who loves drama and doesn’t ask too many questions about the script.

Michael Douglas is the type of actor, which should play the role of an aging Secret Service agent, well. I remember when Clint Eastwood played a similar role a few years ago and I enjoyed that movie very much. Most of the reviews I read today said that Michael Douglas was too old for this role to be believable. Maybe they are right, but too many times Hollywood cast young people in roles where they are too young to be believable to me.

“The Sentinel” is the type of movie I have been encouraging Hollywood studios to make for a long time now. At least this movie has something original to offer and not another remake of a 1970’s television show like “The Dukes of Hazzard” or “Dallas”. Michael Douglas is a wonderful actor and even if the script for this new movie were lacking, I would be very surprised if he doesn’t carry this movie to box office success. As long as a movie has some semblance of reality, then folks will go see it if there is great acting talent. I look forward to seeing this new movie at some future date.

Related: 2006 Movie Favorites

Sentinel Bad Reviews

Daily Archives: | 02, 04, 07, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28

Hutch Report Archive