Thursday, May 04, 2006

Another Great Loss - Louis Rukeyser Dies

I was extremely saddened to hear the news of the passing of Louis Rukeyser today at the age of 73. In many ways I grew into a man learning about the stock market watching this smooth talking man interview guest on his weekly television show, "Wall Street Week" on public television. In fact when "Public Television" took him off that show several years ago, I quit watch their channel entirely. The people they put on to replace Rukeyser were not up to the task.

Reports I have read say that Louis Rukeyser died of a rare form of bone cancer. I can only imagine how many corporate CEO's he interview over the years. The one thing that stands out the most in my mind when thinking about Louis is the smooth way he always talked to his guest and the courtesy and consideration he gave to each person who appeared on his program. He didn't yell at his guest, but rather treated them the way all of us would expect to be treated if we were the guest in someone else’s home.

Many of the people seen today on CNBC and other financial channels were first exposed to a nationwide American television audience on "Wall Street Week". It's been several years since I've seen Louis Rukeyser on television, but I'm pretty sure he followed in the footsteps of his father in reporting financial news to the American people on radio and television. His death is a loss to everyone who learned about how financial markets work in the US and around the world by watching his programs.

Something I almost forgot about just popped into my mind about "Wall Street Week" with Louis Rukeyser. Once per year he had a show about all the new gadgets that were going to be sold in stores over the holiday season. I really enjoyed watching these shows because they were done with class and not like some infomercial selling the products. Louis Rukeyser had a way of making me laugh at the same time I was leaning new things. Very few people are born with that God given talent, but Rukeyser had it and at least in my home his passing will be met with sorrow, but gratitude for a job well done.

Related: Stock Market Declines

Another Great Loss

Hutch Report Archive