Friday, June 16, 2006

Friends Love NBA - Dallas Mavericks In Playoffs

Let me start off by saying that I am not an NBA fan, but I know a bunch of people who are and in Central Texas, where I live, these crazy NBA fans talk about little else these days except The Dallas Mavericks and the NBA playoffs. I live in an apartment and the guy who lives across the hall from me is a huge Mavericks fan and every time we have met outside the past few weeks he can talk about little else expect his favorite basketball team. The last time we spoke, Dallas was up 2 games to 0 in the series and he was worried about something going wrong in the upcoming games in Florida.

Little did I know at the time that his worries would become a reality because I just learned that now the Mavericks and Heat are tied at two wins, each. There’s just something fun about watching people who love a sport or a particular team express their hopes and fears about the playoff and how they think of little else while these playoffs take place. While I don’t enjoy watching the NBA, I can certainly understand this excitement because I feel the same way when my favorite NFL team, The Dallas Cowboys are in the playoffs and in contention to attend the Superbowl.

There is one lady, which I work with, who is also a big Dallas Mavericks fan. She is young, around 25 years old and most of her family and friends get together and have a party every time a game has been played the past couple of weeks. In a strange kind of way, I know if the Mavericks won the night before just by looking at her face when I first get to work. She is the kind of person who wears her “feeling on her sleeve” and if the “Mavs” won the night before, she is very excited about everything, but if they lost she is quite and reserved. She told a couple of us at work last week that some of her neighbors are not big fans and had complained about all the noise, about a week ago, coming from her apartment.

I have no clue who is going to win this years NBA Championship and I really don’t care. However, since many of my friends are so excited about The Dallas Mavericks then I want them to win just for positive support to those friendships. For me, the real sports season doesn’t start until August when the NFL training camps get underway. No matter what your favorite sport might be, it is wonderful to have a favorite team and sport to follow and get excited about. Congratulations to both the “Mavericks” and “Heat” on their truly successful NBA season. It is nice to see some new teams in the playoff games. For a sport to really be “national” it needs good teams from cities all over the country that have the potential to become national champions.

Read more: Baseball, Climbing, NFL, Golf, NASCAR

Friends Love NBA

Hutch Report Archive