Friday, September 01, 2006

September 11th - Five Years Later

In so many ways it is hard for me to believe that five years have passed since September 11th, 2001. Like millions of other people I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news of the terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington DC. Even after all this time it is still difficult for me to watch scenes on television of those two burning towers in Manhattan. I feel so terrible for the families of the people killed that day who must agonize over the last few minutes of their loved ones life. I always knew there was evil in this world, but until that day I had no idea how cruel some people were and how fanatical some groups of people can be when it comes to their religious beliefs.

Looking back over the past five years so much has changed in my life, which is probably the case for other folks as well. We all lost a bunch of good people that day in New York, Washington and in a field in Pennsylvania and unfortunately many people have lost sight of that fact over the years because it is just too painful to imagine the horrible deaths that those people suffered in the World Trade Center that day. The lucky ones were on the floors where the jets hit because they didn’t even know what happened and didn’t have a chance to think about what was to come over the next hour or so. I still have nightmares from time to time about the terrible choice some of these folks faced between jumping to their deaths or being burned alive.

On the positive side I believe the United States as a nation has stood up well after 911 because even though there have been major changes in the way we travel by air, at least we still have air travel available to us and for the most part it is still very safe to fly. For the past couple of years there has been big political debate about individual rights as the government makes changes to protect the people and fight the war against terrorism. This is how our country is suppose to work and while these terrorist killed a bunch of innocent people on 911, they have not destroyed the fabric of our country, which I have no doubt was their ultimate goal. I remember when I was I high school learning about huge events in world history and at the time I never realized that one of the biggest events in future history would take place during my lifetime, but it did on 911.

There is so much all Americans have to be thankful for and maybe on the five year anniversary of 911 we should reflect on what has gone right in the United States since that date and not what has gone wrong. Yes, we have thousands of troop fighting around that world, but the US Constitution which governs this great land is still in tacked and most of us are back to going about our daily business without having to live in fear each day. Many people died on September 11th, 2001 and their memory will be burning into the hearts and minds of millions of people, forever.

Hutch Report Archive