Monday, September 11, 2006

Reliving A Nightmare - MSNBC Replays 911 Coverage

I woke up early this morning to find that MSNBC was re-airing the “Today Show” from September 11th, 2001 exactly the way it was scene on that terrible day. I watched spell bounded at the early coverage of that day on NBC and I kept think to myself what a great news organization they had because within a short period of time they found out what was happening and even reported the flight numbers of the airliners which were hijacked and crashed that day. There were a few mistakes which got on the air like an alleged car bomb going off at the State Department, but overall their coverage was right on target and they got it right the first time it went on the air.

As I have written here many times before, I watch the NBC Nightly News and have done so for years. It wasn’t until I watched this live replay of events as they were reported on 911 that I understood exactly why I enjoy watching the news on NBC. When I watch a national news broadcast I prefer an organization which gets the story right the first time, instead of wallowing in speculation for hours or even days until they finally get it right. Since 911, many of the cable news networks here in the US have turned into speculation factories and they seem more interested in reporting rumor and speculation over the actual facts of a news story.

Since I wasn’t living in a state of shock about what was happening to this country I love, this morning I was able to watch how this story was presented live on September 11th, 2001 and with the aid of hind sight see how good the reporters and anchors were/are at NBC. One thing that stood out to me this morning was something I don’t recall at all when I watched this coverage five years ago, live and that was Katie Couric’s attitude toward Tom Brokaw. On several occasions Couric seemed to correct Brokaw during the coverage which I thought was sort of unprofessional. On these occasions Katie seemed rude and came across, at least to me, as some kind of a know it all personality. Honestly, it could have just been the stress of the day which brought out this attitude in her, but also I was watching her performance closer today because of her new position at CBS News.

There are very few times in life when people are able to go back in time and relive an experience, which took place five years ago. Today, millions of people had that chance with this MSNBC rebroadcast of the “Today Show” from 911 and while it was still hard to watch those two tall 110 story buildings collapse into rubble once again. It is important to remember what the face of evil looks like and to never forget the regular citizens who were killed that day. I believe it is also important to watch these events happen again because they show the great courage of rescue workers in the police and fire department who ran toward danger while everyone else was running away. September 11th, 2001 may have been the day terrorist attacked American and our way of life, but that day also brought out what is good and decent in the hearts of most Americans.

Hutch Report Archive