Saturday, October 06, 2007

Don Imus Return - December 1st On WABC Radio

The Washington Post is reporting today that Don Imus is close to reaching a deal with Citadel Broadcasting that will pay him millions of dollars and make WABC Radio the I-man's new flagship station. People in the know have told me that WABC would most likely be the new home of Don Imus and it appears that they were right. Citadel Broadcasting owns over 200 radio stations across the country and most likely they are eager to put Don Imus back on-the-air in most parts of the United States in the early part of next year.

In the minds of millions of Don Imus fans, the I-man was railroaded by Reverend Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on trumped up racial charges. While I thought Don Imus' comments about the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team were definitely over the top, many long time Imus' fans were quick to point out that his comments were taken out of context and that he was being used as a pawn in a war of political correctness. I must admit I have seen Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton go after other famous people, over the years, as well and maybe these true blue Don Imus fans are more attuned to the truth than average pundits like myself.

The long time sidekick and news reporter for Don Imus, Charlie McCoy, is also ready to re-join the I-man in his radio return at WABC. I have followed the career of Don Imus for most of my adult life and while I am not a regular Imus listener, I am happy for his true blue fans that have been going through Don Imus withdrawal for the entire summer. While real charges of racism must be dealt with in the world today, it is just as important not to hang a "scarlet letter" around people that say politically incorrect things just for laughs. I must admit that my opinion about what Don Imus said that morning on his radio show about the Rutgers Womens Basketball Team has changed dramatically over the past several months and I now too believe that Don Imus should be given another chance at rebuilding his radio empire.


Read more about Don Imus:

Don Imus Comeback Most Likely On WPLJ-FM
Don Imus Has Very Loyal Fans
Don Imus Political Correctness Run-Amuck
Rutgers Kia Vaughn Sues Don Imus
John McCain Wants Don Imus Back

Hutch Report Archive